In 1947, the Oklahoma Methodist Conference with Bishop W. Angie Smith presiding established a new church. This was the first church established under the Tulsa District Board of Missions and Church Extension Committee. William Neff was the first pastor and the first worship service was held on October 3, 1947 in the Communtion Center of Dawson. Through faith in God and dedication the first Sunday offering was sent to Overseas Relief, now known as World Service.
On June 13, 1948 the first service was held at the present site in the lilttle white army chapel purchased from Camp Gruber surplus. The lot and the oparsonage were purchased from Mr. & Mrs. W.G. Skelly.
Twenty-four ministers have served this church and each one holds a special place in our heart. Thirteen individuals (12 men and 1 woman) have been licensed to the ministry from this church.
On January 22, 1984 the dedication of the church was held with Bishop Hardt for the mortgage burning. Sheridan Avenue property was debt-free.
The dedication of Church School teachers, lay leaders and workers throughout the church give reason for us to praise God in helping render our best for Jesus Christ.
The church has active involvement in the following areas: United Methodist Women, United Methodist Men, Sanctuary Choir, Evangelism (including visitations to homebound members). Missions (Restore Hope, Circle of Care, Cookson Hills, etc). Our church serves as a voting precinct.
Building and remodeling have continued to the present time. But the little army chapel is still the main hub or our church as the present Sanctuary.
On September 28, 1997, Sheridan Avenue celebrated its Fiftieth Anniversary. Five former ministers returned to worship with us. Mrs. Bill (Margie) Neff, wife of our first minister, attended the celebration.
Prayers continue to be answered as this congregation grows spiritually and labors to fulfill the calling to which it is dedicated.
We rejoice in the many wonderful events of our 57 years and look forward to continuous service to our Lord.
The cornerstone in the south foyer bears these words: